Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Now with Award Winning Goodness!!!!

Hello there and welcome to another day in the world of an "online nail girl!"  I hope you are doing well today! 

Well, it really has happened, I won an award for this blog.  I know, the silence and shock in the room is palpable!    I realize my blog breaks all the rules, and it really is not an example of a good nail blog. However, I feel that by publishing my blog I do the service of helping to make the all your other nail blogs look really great in contrast!


 

Here is my new award!  Thank you to The Painted Pony! 





Here's how it works:
1) The recipient must post 11 fun facts about themselves
2) The recipient must also answer 11 questions created by the award giver
3) The recipient must give the award to 11 new bloggers with less than 200 followers and post 11 questions for them to answer
4) These 11 bloggers must be told they have been given the award
5) They will in turn pass the award on to 11 new bloggers of their choice (no tagging back the award giver)

 


Eleven fun facts about me:

1.  I am what is known as a Cajun, and like most Cajuns, I love to eat.


2.   I also enjoy to cook different cuisines, including Cajun (naturally), Mexican, BBQ, Thai, Italian, Indonesian, Dutch, French, Japanese, Chinese and Indian. 


3.  One of my favorite meals is an indulgent Indonesian Rijstaffel (Rice Table), at Puri Mas in Amsterdam, the table will be covered with around a dozen to eighteen different dishes.  The meal is how the Dutch like to eat Indonesian food, it is not how they eat in Indonesia. 



The rijsttafel has so many wonderful dishes, something for everyone's taste. Shown above is part of the spread for two.  For a sampling, one of the standard ingredients is the saffron coconut rice, served with a garnish of sweet roasted coconut.  You can see the yellow rice in the center.  They begin with jasmine rice and cook it with coconut milk and saffron. Then, you would be wise to use the crispy coconut garnish on top.  It is sweet, fragrant and so delicate.
This is only the beginning of this amazing meal!  Coconut and chili flavors factor heavily here.

4.  I love trees.  I have planted pine, juniper, xylosma, maple, crepe myrtle, arborvitae and I am sure at least one other type.


5.  I love retro and antiques.  I always have appreciated those things which have proven themselves to stand the test of time.

6.  My favorite garden I have ever visited is Keukenhof in the Netherlands during spring tulip season.  The scent of the flowers and the beauty of the scenery combine to make this an unforgettable and romantic experience.  The bulbs number in the millions.




7. One of my favorite rings is hand made from a large antique silver Dutch coin.  I hold it in front of me like a shield sometimes when I walk in a crowd.  I bought it from the man who sells handmade jewelry in the Amsterdam Waag street market on the weekends, and he shouts "Happy Day" over and over, that is how you would know him. 


8. I am a watercolor artist and my favorite subject is flowers.  My favorite artists are Van Gogh, Gustav Klimt, Claude Monet, Georgia O'Keefe.  I admire the way Monet created his garden to give himself subjects for painting.  I plan to do the same thing in my own garden and I am creating the garden now. 

9. I love acronyms, so when I worked for NASA I was in heaven.  I tend to notice if common phrases have interesting acronyms.  This makes me  pretty nerdy, right?  Some of my favorites from NASA:

MDM Multiplexer DeMultiplexer
MADS Modeling and Analysis Data Set
ISS International Space Station
PEHG Payload Ethernet Hub Gateway (I named a pug I owned after the PEHG)
MOD Mission Operations Directorate (The guys in Houston you tell when you have a problem)
FOD Flying Orbital Debris (space junk)

 I have almost forgotten how much I love these things! 

LHS Left Hand Side
LCF Left Center Field
WTF Wednesday Thursday Friday  gotcha : )

10.   I have always had a dog. I used to keep discus fish, a rat, a cat, a guinea pig and gerbils.  I have great love for animals, as a kid I was the girl who cared for the broken winged birds in my neighborhood.

11.  I like hippy culture, flower power, peace and love and all that.  Would you like it if these things made a comeback in our culture in a big way?  ME TOO!!!!!!  

Whew, that was not easy.  I am not sure how fun these facts are.  They may not all be fun, but they are facts.  


Peace!



Here are The Painted Pony's questions for me: 
1) When and why did you start blogging?

I started this blog just over two years ago. I purchased OPI Mad as a Hatter at Kroger one day by chance after agonizing over which color to choose from the Hong Kong and Alice In Wonderland collections.  I applied it and freaked out because it was so pretty. I went online to see if I was the only one who thought so, and my blog addiction started.

I was intrigued with the idea of creating my own blog first to see if I could, and to have my own place to post my manicures.  

2) How many bottles of polish do you own?
I haven't counted but I know it is approaching 600.

3) What color do you have the most of in your collection?

Blue and orange are tied for first.

4) What is your first memory of nail polish?

I remember sitting at my grandmother's dressing table and admiring the swirly and pearly polishes in their bottles.  She would let me play with them.  She really loved me and that is such a great memory!

5) What do your friends/family think of your hobby?

My husband  is more than supportive, encouraging me yesterday to go into CVS to shop for polish, when I was going to walk by.  He loves to buy me things!  I love him!  I would buy him things too, but his needs are few.  But if he does want something, we make sure he gets it too.

I think my friends and family do not have any interest in visiting my blog, this is because I tell them and they forget to or just don't visit it.  This actually suits me fine!  I want my readers to enjoy doing what YOU do because YOU like to do it, like I do!

6) What are your hobbies other than blogging?


I am a passionate gardener, I love to play my guitar and sing, and to paint anything and everything that doesn't move, and even some things that do. I love to redecorate and design my house and landscape to enhance my home's beauty.  I cook in many different styles and love to please my husband with dishes a la "bonne femme".  I love to work out, right now I give credit to Paulin Nordin and her series Butt Bible for transforming me into a hottie over the last year. That is what my husband calls me now anyway.

7) What's your favorite nail polish color?

Mad as a Hatter

8) What would be your dream polish?

That changes, but today it is one matching the turquoise waters in the Caribbean.  I need to find this polish, does it exist?

9) What is something you love, but everyone else hates?
I have nothing I tell you.

10) What trends do you love?

Weird colors and bright colors.


11) What trends do you hate?

I agree with The Painted Pony, I kind of hate crackle.  It is too lumpy, and it reminds me of antique wood.  Shabby chic decor is great, but I don't LOVE shabby nails! 

Here are the new blogs I am tagging -  


1. Michelle at Sunshine and Rainbows http://sunshine-and-rainbows80.blogspot.com/
2.  Ameerah at Valiantly Varnished http://valiantlyvarnished.blogspot.com/
3.  Melissa at  http://swatchmenow.blogspot.com/
4.  Melissa at http://melissasmanis.blogspot.com/
5.  Polka Polish  http://polkapolish.blogspot.com/
6.  Carmella at try it with Carmella http://tryitwithcarmella.blogspot.com/
7.  Miss maya at http://missgirlsix.blogspot.com/
8. Neilani at http://www.willworkforpolish.com/
9.  Wild about Polish with her rescue puppy IGGY! Go Iggy!  Get well soon!
 http://wildaboutpolish.blogspot.com/
10. Daysi  http://www.nailcrazewithdayze.com/

and last but not least, another blogger about to break out:
11. Mandy from the Midwest at http://chameleonstampede.blogspot.com/

Congratulations to each of you on your blogs, please accept this award in recognition of your achievement in blogging! Your blogs are all as cute as you are!




4 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for your kind words they mean the world to me :) I hope you do try that stamp it was fun. You too are very talented. I started following your blog & hopefully you can do the same. I always say we nail girls need to stick together ;) oh & thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Thank you so much. I will mention it on my blog very soon I am just taking a bit of a break at the moment but I am absolutely chuffed to bits right now. Just thanks for mentioning me and I am so glad you have found my little blog. He, he!!! I hope you visit again soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Here is my post for you to see
    http://sunshine-and-rainbows80.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/liebster-award.html

    Thank you so much for the award!

    I have joined your blog and would love to stay in touch as future friends. I wish you well with your blog and good luck!

    Happy Blogging!

    Michele x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay! You are so welcome. I know I was excited to get the award too. I will check it out!!! I am looking forward to getting to know a bit more about you!

      I hope it wasn't too much work-- I know you are busy. I like things to be fun!

      Thank you for the kind words about my blog. You are so sweet!

      lovenailpolish

      Delete

I appreciate and enjoy your supportive and thoughtful comments so much! I really do love hearing what YOU think!

Comments with links will be deleted.