Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ideas to Help A Depressed Person - Nails for Depression Awareness Month

Hi sunshine!  I am glad you are here, so far it has been cloudy  : )

I want to share these nails I have painted for you in green and blue, to highlight the fact that October is Depression Awareness Month.  Green is the color designated to represent Depression Awareness, but I feel blue is more obvious, and should be represented too.  So this shade is perfect for this cause, and I love it!

Here I am showing you China Glaze Unpredictable, a green/blue duochrome chrome.  I used Jordana garlic Basecoat, 3 coats of Unpredictable, and Sally Hansen Insta-Dry topcoat.  We have a little love story going on, and now we are reunited, and together forever I hope.*



Kelly,  the talented authoress of the blog Vampy Varnish, let her readers know that October, in addition to being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, is also Depression Awareness Month. This was news to me. If you have never visited this awesome beauty blog, you should definitely check it out! 



This is hard for me to do, but I admit, I too have suffered from depression. It sucks the fun out of everything.  It can take away the ability to feel pleasure and enjoy things you normally do. 



Clinical depression is deadly serious, and is a real, diagnosable illness, like cancer.

Depression can be compounded by isolation and secrecy, because suffering from depression is not easy to admit.  If more people can admit when they are suffering depression, whether diagnosed by a doctor, or just feeling down, it will help more depressed people feel less alone and sad. 

I am not a doctor, so my feelings on this are solely my opinion, and worth what you are paying for it.  That said, in my experience, the best cure for depression is some old fashioned TLC, administered by a loved one, a friend, to yourself, or a trusted, reputable therapist or psychiatrist.

I want to share with you some ideas that may help someone else who is depressed. It is not possible to know when a kind word or gesture, from someone you know, or a stranger, can save someone's life if they are at a critical moment.

I hope this can help someone.  

Only you will know the best way to help your friend or loved one, of course, these won't work for every person. Just being there to talk, and offer support and sympathy, and showing them you love and care for them can make all the difference. 

A special thank you for reading this far!
Love,
lovenailpolish



Ways to help a depressed person
1.   Sit with them quietly

2.   Offer them a healing hug

3.   Talk to them, let them lead the discussion

4.   Offer to run errands for them

5.   Bring them a cup of tea, or whatever they like

6.   Call them to check on them and say you care

7.   Compliment them on something they do well and they are proud of

8.   Offer encouragement to your friend as best you can

9.    Let them know you sympathize with their pain

10.  Remind them it will pass eventually

11.  Remind them of a great fun time you had together, and reminisce

13.  Share a picture, or cartoon you think would make them laugh

14.  Tell them a joke, try to get them to laugh, avoid sarcasm or touchy subjects

15.  Watch a funny movie they like together

16.  Plan a special something just for fun

17.  Bring flowers or send some or pick one from the wildflowers

18.  Rub their back or give them a kiss and/or a hug and say "I love you- you are just great"

19.  Ask them what you can do to help

20.  Be patient with them.  Maybe they cannot do things today, but maybe tomorrow, or with your help

21.  Offer to communicate with them any time they need you to

22.  Listen to signals they are sending to you, especially suicidal talk, it is always a serious cry for help

23.  Tell them why you value their friendship

24.  Remind them of their accomplishments

25.  Be gentle with them, they may look strong, but they could be fragile

26.  As with everyone, be kind to them, they especially need it

27.  Offer comfort, in any way you can, comfort literally means to strengthen

28.  Leave them alone if they need it, but don't abandon them, stay close

29. If they like nail polish, you could buy or make them a little something nail polish related, insert their hobby here

30.  Offer to go with them to a place they would enjoy sometime

31.  Ask them about the favorite place they have ever been and let them tell you about it

32.  Really listen, and respond

33. Talk about future plans together



Ways to help yourself:
1.  Take yourself to a place to appreciate beauty, in nature or man made things  This doesn't have to mean  Nordstroms, it can be your doorstoop and the sky.

2.  Remember a time you had fun in the past and reminisce a while

3.  Look at pictures of yourself in your favorite places, post them where you can see them

4.  Plan a reward you deserve and can afford

5.  Think of someone you miss and let them know

6.  Think of a fun time you enjoyed as a child.  Is there a way to recreate it ?  Why grow up?  Second Childhood is not such a bad idea.

7.  Dare to dream a new dream of wild imaginings and strive to make it come true.  Why not?


8.  Go to the library and enjoy the quiet and explore a subject that grabs your fancy.  I know it is old fashioned any more, but kindles will never replace the feeling I get in a library. : )

9.  Change your environment, go somewhere new.  It doesn't have to be far or cost money. 

10.  Talk with a person you trust and you know will offer support

11.  Ask for help if you need it, let your friends know what they can to do to help you

12.  Focus on the one thing each day you need to work on most, and believe the universe wants you to have what you need, believe it fully, and wait for the miracles to start.  This works! I got the idea from # 43.

13. Read a self-help book,  I know this one helped me : Add More -Ing to your Life by Gabrielle Bernstein, a wonderful new age guru and earth angel.  Is she making you smile already?
4315420943_c53f680749
Gabrielle Bernstein at work

I think she has helped many other people too. I checked this out from the library and had to return it. I need to buy it, and I VERY RARELY buy books.



 14. Think of the "Five Things I am Grateful for Today"

     Today I am grateful for:

      1. My life, I am mostly healthy, exept for the usual aches pains etc

      2. My spouse,

      3. My roof,

     4. My chihuahua, Rosie

     5. you, for reading this

Thank you for making me feel great by commenting, joining me here.

Do you have any additional ideas to share with us to help combat depression?

I hope that this list will grow, I am glad to have the opportunity to share it with you here.

Have a happy day!

lovenailpolish

PS Have you seen your invitation to my Halloween Blog Party?  I already have two attendees !!!  Check them out!  Click the link and scroll down to the thumbnail gallery!  Thank you to Untrained Hair Mom and In the Red Nails.  Thank you so much for coming to the party and bringing your awesome stylings! Woohoo!  I know for a fact there are more attendees planning to attend, and in costume!


* I had purchased this polish mistakenly a while ago, and returned it because I wanted Rare and Radiant (previously swatched here), one of the sea of Chanel Peridot dupes.  But I never forgot the beauty that is Unpredictable, and felt regretful to have returned the shade to the store.  This last weekend, I shopped the Sally sidewalk sale, thanks to G. at Nouveau Cheap (you must know her, right? If not you must GO there!!!), and there it was, my lost love, Unpredictable.  You are Unpredictable, and I love you so, you shiny and gorgeous bohemian green-blue minx!  Extra thanks to G one of my favorite bloggers, ever! : )





12 comments:

  1. This is a really great and informative post, thank you so much for sharing. I have suffered from depression off and on for as long as I can remember and can be absolutely debilitating. Thanks for doing your part to get this out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber,

      Your feedback helps me to know this post did not go astray. I am sorry to know that you have suffered depression too. It is so difficult to do, I must applaud you for speaking out as well.

      There should not be a stigma attached to depression, nor mental illness. Speaking out and shedding light and understanding among one another will enlighten and elevate all of us to a higher level of existence.

      You have one of the most colorful, and since it is based in Louisiana, naturally flavor filled blogs out there. I love the local color you share with readers, you remind me of my treasured memories of growing up I had there in that wonderful and remarkable place.

      Thank you sincerely for visiting me here : )

      Thank you for making me smile again : )

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Iggy :) A BIG hug to you for putting yourself out there. I've got two sisters whom I suspect suffer.... I don't know that either of them have taken measures to help themselves, and I don't know why.... I feel a lot of their issues are results of choices and circumstances.... Whatever the causes, I don't know how to approach the subject without coming across as judgmental. Maybe all I can do is pray that they find their way. I wish I could do more. Anyhoo.... Thanks for the post and the opportunity to get some feelings out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liesl. (HUGS) Thank you for the great support you have given me, it means the world to me : )

      My sympathies go to anyone suffering with depression, it is a difficult burden to bear. Also, as you mention, family members such as yourself suffer secondary depression as well, and often seem to have a hard time discussing the subject, though it may be painfully obvious.

      Talking about your own struggles with sad feelings in the past or at a present moment can help others to do the same. I know it is true, because someone else sharing their story helped me do share mine.

      You are a thoughtful sister to want to help, while being sensitive to about how your efforts to help might be judged wrongly. Your sisters are lucky to have you.

      Thank you so much for reading this and writing your sweet and thoughtful words.

      I am glad to have met you, Liesl!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Informative post about an important subject. Thank you for sharing your experience, and for providing us with practical methods for dealing with the big dark dog!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Thank you for visiting me and letting me know you liked this.

      I really hope it can help someone else! One of my favorite things to do is to be a people helper!

      That is worth more to me than anything!

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful. Thank you for recognizing this month as also being Depression Awareness Month. Thank you for sharing such a personal part of your life and being so gracious as to provide valuable information that can help others facing depression. I commend you, I support you, and I thank you!!!

    Simply gorgeous!!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a lovely comment, it means so much to me to get this kind of feedback. You are welcome : )

      I really appreciate you, In the Red Nails, and I am enjoying getting to know more about you, awesome lady!

      I feel that Depression Awareness campaign should be more visible. It really needs this awareness campaign! So thank you so very much for the acknowledgement, and I want to thank you for your thoughtfulness, kindness and support.

      ((Hugs)) to you!

      See you soon!

      Oh, and I love having you at my party! Those nails are GREAT! If you want to show off anything else in addition, please share, feel free!

      Mi blog es su blog

      I hope you have a wonderful day!

      lovenailpolish



      Delete
  5. Your so sweet. I have bipolar myself(manic-depressive) I like your ways to help. Especially 9. Let them know you sympathize with their pain
    Lots of people can understand someone being depressed about a particular event. However when its just being depressed because its a chemical imbalance its harder for them to get it. I have nothing in life to be depressed about....I just am because that's the way my brain works :oP Same when I get into manic states.
    In this type of depression I find for me its best not to ask why but to just say I'm here.
    Thanks for this girl! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nail Narcotics,

      I am so sorry to hear that you suffer from Bipolar. I am deeply sympathetic to your suffering, and to anyone else who suffers a mood disorder.

      I am glad you like my list. I discovered that some people really don't know the first thing to do to help someone who is depressed, so I thought a specific list could be helpful.

      If there is something you need from someone to help you feel better, be sure to ask for it. If they really care about you they will be happy to try to give you what you need.

      Thank you for the feedback here NailNarcotics, and for frequently visiting me and commenting! I think you are just GREAT!

      Delete
  6. Great post. i totally agree on the tips. I so love the nail color too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really a big help! Thank you so much! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your supportive and thoughtful comments so much! I really do love hearing what YOU think!

Comments with links will be deleted.