Saturday, October 19, 2013

After the Cut - Beau's Lines and Dupe Alert

Hello friend, welcome.

I have really missed blogging here over the past while. Today I am happy be back and to share with you.

I am doing much better on chemo this time around, and am not experiencing the terrible side effects that landed me in the hospital for a week last time I had chemo. I am doing my very best to stay healthy, and at last report all my numbers came back very good!

So now I am back to a place where I have the energy, desire and mojo back to blog. I have thought of blogging all the time, but I have not felt like actually doing it. I have kept my nails polished, and one side effect of my diagnosis has been a six month long nail polish shopping spree to cheer myself up.

I have been undergoing a difficult time physically and emotionally. I have had to accept some difficult realities this year, and I have been very raw emotionally coming to terms with things, and unable to bring myself to share much in detail about my situation with you here, although I had planned to. You know how it is if you have ever been depressed or sick for a while. Working on a blog and sharing is just too big of a bridge to cross some days.  But I have been on twitter daily, and  as of recently, on vine as well, posting my nails and following my friends blogs. I have been trying to distract myself, and enjoy my life in my spare time, and not "work" too hard

I am glad to get this post up in time for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I am bouncing back again and feeling better so I am here also to share more of what I love, nail polish and nail stuff!

Today I want to share with you some things I did not expect to happen to my nails before I got breast cancer. When I was diagnosed I thought, well at least I can do my nails and they will be alright. Not so fast said chemo.

I have experienced many side effects, and one not serious but annoying one is Beau's lines on my nails, which are a result of chemotherapy. These are ridges which are parallel to the cuticle, you can see them here in  a few of these photos that follow. There are two, one for each chemo cycle I received. They are worst on my thumb, not even detectable on my pinkie. I have them on my toenails also.


I did not realize it but chemo messes up your nails too. The growth of your fingernails and toenails are also affected. Herceptin, the non-chemo drug I will take for a year also messes up your nails in other ways. I have read that it causes vertical splits, drying and nail discoloring.  That will be interesting when the vertical splits meet the horizontal ones. I take very good care of my nails and repair the cracks. I can not imagine having this treatment and being unable or not knowing how to care for my own nails, nor the state they would be in if I did not spend so much time pampering them.


Because the growth of the nails is affected, they are thinned and weak in the growth periods during the harsh chemo, and beginning to split at the edges where the lines show. The pictures above are about one month old, the nails have begun to really break. I have so many breaks right now I feel a little desperate, but today I am still not cutting my nails short. Soon though.

I am repairing them, though they are becoming slightly painful because my nails are so hard against my tender skin.  My hands are so dry, and the nails are lifting up under the nail bed in three places. I was not sure until the first one grew out what the light colored spots were, but now that the first one has grown out I know the nails spontaneously became detached in spots during the chemotherapy. This is especially horrifying for me, it just gives me the creeps. Just in time for Halloween, yaay!

This lifting is definitely due to the chemo, it has never ever happened to me before.  I have three spots.  One on each thumbnail, and one on my right index finger. Here is a photo of that hammered nail.



I have used super glue and a teabag, as I showed you here, to patch my nails for now.



 My hands are also very dry.  

The polish I have on is an almost exact dupe of the last polish I blogged about, Covergirl Grapevine. Almost. I prefer the formula of the Covergirl, it is shinier. 



So in summary, I am doing really well, glad to be writing again, my nails are hammered, and I probably only NEEDED one of these polishes.

Have a happy day!
I hope to see you here again soon.
lovenailpolish

10 comments:

  1. Missed you! Glad you're doing alright - beautiful color on your nails.

    Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bailey, thank you! I can not seem to get enough purple lately! Happy to see you here again!

      Delete
  2. I've been reading your blog and wow, that is such a lot to cope with. Chemotherapy sounds horrific but I'm so glad you're feeling a lot better this time round. Thanks so much for reading my blog too and leaving your lovely supportive comment. Fingers crossed for you to keep doing well, and of course for your nails to survive as well as possible! Lisa xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this! I complain a bit but it could be worse. Thank you for visiting me here and for being so supportive. I felt touched by your post, I am glad you felt able to share. It helps to lighten the load.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to see you post again - I hope you continue to say on the road of progress <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria! I appreciate your well wishes and sweet comments as always! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. Ooh it's so wonderful to hear that you're doing better!!! I'm so so happy to hear this!!
    Sucks about your nails, but you know, in the grand scheme of things, who cares!! You're doing better and once the chemo and all the drugs are out of your system, the nails will become healthy again as well. Big hugs!!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gosia for this! I appreciate your kind words and your are so right. Nails are so small in terms of things! Blessings and thanks to you dear!

      Delete
  5. Hi sweetness! First, I wanted to say Happy Friendship Anniversary! It was just before Halloween last year when we met and you had your fabulous party. I still have all those wonderful polishes I won from your 'Scariest Bottle' contest and I think of you every time I see one of the bottles on my shelf and I say a prayer for you. It does my heart good to know that you are doing better with the chemo this time around. I hope it continues to go well for you. I am in agreement with Gosia about in the grander scheme of things but also know as a patient, sometimes it's nice to pretty yourself up because it just feels good and can make you feel better when you are having a bit of a low day.

    I know I haven't been around too much myself the last several weeks and I'll be updating my blog here in just a few minutes as to why so if you have a chance in the next few days, pop on over and let's catch up, okay?

    Take care, my dear friend. Sending you much love and many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELlo my lovely friend! Happy frienshipaversary to you as well. I so well remember meeting you and you were just the life of my party! I am so happy to know that you still enjoy the polishes and are praying for me too! What a wonderful thought! I also pray for you, that you will be doing better and soon also! I am rushing to your blog right now to see your update!

      You are the sweetest person I have met online and I appreciate your friendship so much over this past year. You are an awesome chick and I hope we continue to be friends for many many years : )

      Thank you Angela for being so kind to me, visiting me here and taking your time out to comment. I appreciate your kind words more than you can know Huggles : D

      See you on your blog! ; ) Take care!!

      Delete

I appreciate and enjoy your supportive and thoughtful comments so much! I really do love hearing what YOU think!

Comments with links will be deleted.