Monday, November 11, 2013

Platinum Linings and My Pink Pony

Hi! Welcome!

I am so happy to be back today sharing with you some of the things that make me smile : ).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! : D  You are a  big platinum lining for me because you have been such a HUGE support to me this year! And you made me what I am today, so I cannot say THANK YOU enough!

Thank you and I love you Mom!

And lest I forget, a huge Thank YOU to our military veterans and their families this Veteran's Day! Your sacrifices are appreciated more than I can ever express. I honor you today and pray for peace so no more of our brave young men and women ever have to be in harm's way ever again.

Now for some nail polish appreciation.

Here is a swatch of an OPI polish I bought this summer after seeing it in person. I stumbled into a beautiful salon and beauty supply store while waiting for my pup to get her teeth cleaned. I saw this polish and decided to look it up online once I got home. But I could not find it! I thought the name was And This Little PONY!  I had to go all the way back and get it, this is the gorgeous glass fleck known as And This Little PIGGY. I love it for several reasons.



It is a beautiful pink with pink, orange and purple glass flecks, but it is somewhat sheer, so I used 3 coats here. This is typical for glass fleck polishes in my experience. I have been so often fooled into purchasing a glass fleck to be dismayed at the impossibility of eliminating the VNL to an acceptable degree. This polish covers enough for me.

The name reminds me of the game my mother played with me as a child. Grabbing each of my toes in turn, starting with the big one:

And this little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home, this little piggie had roast beef, this little piggie had none, and this little piggy cried WEE WEE WEE all the way home. Do you remember that one? Much laughter ensued after the game finished. So I like it for that reason.

At first I thought it said Pony not Piggy, so that made me want it because I used to have a pink stuffed pony toy as a girl. It had a yellow yarn mane and tail, and over the years it became threadbare from me running around pretending to be riding it, gripping it in between my legs! O.o  My little pink pony had pink leatherette ears and a cute face. It was one of my favorite toys as a kid. I wish I had it still  : O  But now I remember my pony when  I see this fun polish ; ) My Pink Pony. So for me, I will re-christen this nail polish My Pink Pony.

Sorry OPI, but once it is mine I can call it what I want! Bwahaahahaaaaa!


Today I also want to share with you some of the generous gifts I have received and recognize the people who have given them to me. These are some of the incredible "platinum linings" I have found this year.  I received these things as a gift from the companies who generously help people with cancer. I was not compensated for this post in any other way.


These flowers were a gift from the Ceres Community Project, based in Sebastopol, California. 


They provide prepared meals to people in a health crisis. I have applied and now receive meals for myself and my husband four nights per week, they ask only that clients begin paying after twelve weeks a minimum of ten dollars per person per week. I am happy to pay for my meals since it saves me so much effort.  This is such a blessing to me now, going through chemo, it has enabled me to rest and recover instead of cooking!

A Ceres food delivery. They always include a dessert! : D


For dinner last night I had a lentil burger with roasted potatoes. It was a healthy version of a hamburger and fries! It was quite tasty, and much better for me than fast food.  This project is such a wonderful blessing to everyone involved. Here is there beautiful logo.
They train teenage volunteers to prepare the meals in a professional kitchen setting with chefs and mentors. Parents and their children volunteer together also, and they team up to learn to prepare healthy food from scratch. The meals are delicious and tailored to be super healthy, I am so grateful to them. I learned about them before I needed their services, never dreaming I would become a client. I was so healthy and fit I had considered volunteering myself, but they were too far away, but now, once I am better again and able, I plan to do so. The project is expanding to other states, and this is a great thing! Find out more about these wonderful volunteers or how you could help here, at the Ceres Community Project website.




This scarf is a gift from Franceluxe. They give a free scarf to people losing their hair from cancer through their Good Wishes program, more information here. This scarf is finely made with silk and Swarovski crystals, feels so good on my head! I wear mine often as it is comfortable on my growing out hair and not as hot as a wig. I highly recommend these scarves, they are so beautiful!   Good karma for them!



And finally this assortment of cosmetics was a gift to me from all the companies shown and the American Cancer Society. This is a typical assortment of cosmetics a participant in the Look Good Feel Better class will receive in the makeup kit! I have not added it up but I am confident this bag would retail at well over $100. It contained Dior, Chanel, It Cosmetics, OPI Clinique, L'Oreal, Mary Kay and Neutrogena.  I attended a the class held in my area and was given this bag and shown some makeup and hair tips.

Subsequently I answered a call one day and was asked to volunteer for another class as a model. I assumed the students would be people with cancer, and it was a little uncomfortable when I realized I was the only one! I did not know it but I had volunteered as a model for a train the trainer class and received a second bag of makeup! I am proud to have helped teach women how to help others with cancer. This is a great program, and it really does help cheer up women facing a hard diagnosis, so thank you to the American Cancer Society and every company and volunteer in the Look Good Feel Better program.



This is the second kit I received, with items from Olay, Clarins, Biore, Chanel, Mary Kay, Avon, Elizabeth Arden and L'Oreal. I have not used most of them. I am using the Olay sunscreen, and I like it.



And for fun here is a picture of Snoopy. Charles Shultz was from our area so there are many of these Peanuts statues around our town, Santa Rosa, CA. : D




Thank you for reading all of this!

lovenailpolish 

3 comments:

  1. Happy belated Birthday to your Mother. The Ceres Community Project sounds wonderful! I don't know if we have anything like it around here or not, I'll have to look into that. I know for my condition, I have to rely more on online support than in person support. Some of us have gotten together in person a couple of times, which has been really nice and has started me thinking about the need for some kind of local support group for those who have chronic pain issues and how to go about starting such a group. I don't know if I have the energy for it or not right now though. I may have to wait until Spring, when the weather is nicer and my body co-operates better. :0)

    The polish is a beautiful shade! And a cute name! The little piggy story is something I plan on doing with my grand son when I go up to see him tomorrow. :D I can't wait! He just turned a year old in August and he's walking now, just started that in October, so he keeps his Momma on her toes now, as if nursing school, babysitting two other kids, and taking care of him and his 2 siblings didn't keep her busy enough. lol

    How are you feeling, my friend? Appetite good? Sounds like, with the Ceres, you are eating fairly well, at least a few days a week. :D Doing good with the meds and other things? Anything you aren't comfy answering here, you can always e-mail me about. :) I'm going to, hopefully, update my blog either today or tomorrow, so you can catch up with me then. ;<)

    Take care, sweetie. Lots of huggles and love headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am developing a blog and I am seeking a new template.Yours seems pretty decent! Feel free to visit my blog and suggest things!
    jeux de guerre

    ReplyDelete
  3. That OPI is really pretty! I love the shimmer in it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your supportive and thoughtful comments so much! I really do love hearing what YOU think!

Comments with links will be deleted.