Wednesday, January 27, 2016

An Announcement and Vegetable Chili Recipe

Hi there and welcome! I hope your 2016 is treating you kindly. I am so happy to be able to share again with you what is going on with me and a recent creation!

I am well, and I have been working on writing a book about my experience of treatment and recovery from breast cancer. My goal is to publish by the end of September of 2016. The title of the book is:

Fighting To Live


My experience of recovery from breast cancer and an associated steroid psychosis


Today I want to share with  you a recipe for Vegetable Chili that I prepared last night, live on @appmeerkat.   I will occasionally live stream myself cooking on meerkat when I make something I think would be educational or of interest. I admit that I love cooking, and I really love hosting my own interactive cooking tv show!  



Vegetable Chili

2 large carrots or 8 mini carrots, sliced into rounds
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped (jarred is fine to save time!)
2 jalapenos stemmed, seeded and chopped
1 can of corn, drained
2 cans of red kidney beans, drained
or 
1 can each red kidney and black beans or bean of choice
1 14 oz can of tomatoes
2 cups of chicken broth (vegetable broth or water is also fine)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tbsps chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup cilentro leaves for garnish


1 cup brown rice

4 servings
Time approx one hour


1. Start water for rice and prepare as desired. My method for brown rice is detailed below.

2.Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy pan over medium low heat. Add carrots, peel and chop onion, add 
to pot as you chop, seed and chop jalapenos again adding as you chop, stirring between additions.

3. Chop and add garlic.  Add to pot and stir.

4. Rinse and drain beans and corn. add to pot.

5. Add tomatoes and broth or water.

6. Add spices, stir well, bring to boil, simmer for five minutes or until ready to eat. 

7. Taste for seasoning, add salt, pepper or if desired, your choice of hot sauce.

Serve over brown rice.

Brown Rice My Way 

 "I cooked it my way!"

I served this Vegetable Chili over brown rice.

1. Start about six to eight cups of water boiling in a large covered pot prior to beginning step one, once it boils add one cup of rice, stir.

2 .Turn heat down to simmer, and set timer for five minutes less than indicated on the package.

3. Strain rice in a colander in the sink, return to pot and hold aside until ready to serve.

I always test rice prior to the time stated by tasting a few grains. I do not want the ends to be split, nor the grains crunchy. I prefer my rice to have a bit of texture, not cooked to mush.


I sincerely thank you for taking a look into my blog. Here is an old swatch of an OPI polish I picked up last Fall.  The shade is Lucky Lucky Lavender.

Have a beautiful day! 










1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are well, your nails look in fab condition, glad to see the chemo hasn't had any long term affect. The recipe sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your supportive and thoughtful comments so much! I really do love hearing what YOU think!

Comments with links will be deleted.